What a fascinating character Oscar Wilde must have been! In that question about what historical figures you'd want to have lunch with he'd be at least one of them. In reading his work (did you know he is the author of The Picture of Dorian Gray?) he would come across as a very shallow person if it weren't for the fact that it takes a man of supreme intellect, wit, creativity, and depth to write what he did. Genius!
I figured I'd take this time for another quotable quotes post, this one dedicated to Oscar Wilde. He spoke and wrote alot, so even my favorite picks are many. Click on the continuation to get to my favorite Wilde quotes!
Living & Life:
- Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
- Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
- Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow.
- I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability.
- It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating.
Success is a science; if you have the conditions, you get the result.
- Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace.
- There is no such thing as a moral or immoral book. Books are well written or badly written.
- The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.
- I can resist anything but temptation.
Men & Women:
- A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.
- Men always want to be a woman's first love - women like to be a man's last romance.
- Woman begins by blocking a man's advances and ends by blocking his retreat.
- A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction.
- Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
Friends & Enemies:
- Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
- A true friend stabs you in the front.
Words To Remember:
- A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.
- Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.
- A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.
- America had been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up.
- Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.
- Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
- Work is the curse of the drinking class.